Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Car Seats have Expiration dates and Safety 1st Car Seat Review

I was pregnant with my 2nd son this last year (2014) and I was given an infant car seat that was an "extra".  It was in perfect condition. I didn't second guess how old it was. When Linkin came a little sooner than expected into this world, we didn't think much about the car seat. Protocol for infants that spent anytime in the NICU have to pass a final test in the car seat they will travel home in. So without hesitation I handed over this next to new vessel of safeness to take my 5 pound bundle of joy in. The super human nurses up at OHSU in the NICU took one look at it and said "sorry hun, this car seat is expired." I was in shock, there is no way that this perfect condition seat was something that I couldn't use. They sent me to a whole other department of OHSU. If you don't know anything about OHSU then let me just tell you this. IT IS THE BIGGEST PLACE EVER! I got a very harsh (yes there was tears in the empty elevator, completely lost and sleep deprived postpartum me!) crash course of the place. They have a Children's Safety and Injury Prevention Educator in the Doernbecher Children's Hopital part of the OHSU. The super wonderful Lily was very patient with me. She took the deceivingly old (exp. 2007 when my first son was born) car seat and disposed of it (it's hard to find a place to get rid of car seats properly!). She taught me how to properly put in a car seat. I was thankfully able to purchase this new Safety 1st car seat for $28! YUP! What a steal! I must say, at first this wasn't as pretty and applealing as the "OLD" , but WOW light as a feather. NO JOKE, super light! I did roll up a few blankets to help support my little Linkin as he looked like a little bean in the seat. If I where to go back, I would get this one over and over again! If you happen to stubble upon a beautiful used car seat, be sure to check the expiration date.

I found a place online where you can purchase it for a bit more, but I would pay that to have it again if I were to have another! See here: Safety 1st car seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment